Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 2 - Episode 1 - Plaka and Around!

I woke up to a shiny beautiful day this morning. After a shower, I called Katie and experienced something new: calling her instead of Bert! But I guess she has a more serious company than ours so
I cannot feel free to call her every minute but text :)

Hotel's breakfast was nice, but the closest supermarket was out of everything including toothbrushes. I want Greek government to supply me a toothbrush with batteries please. Then I took my camera, wore my 'healthy-dad proved' new sandals and went out towards the metro station. You feel like you are in the Lost island in Greek metro stations because they have things to pass like the Others' system to prevent Black Smoke. I was puzzled while passing, waiting some kind of electricity to burn me :)))

With my very last step of stairs, I felt  that I'm in Athens! Yes, that was the moment. I didn't feel it yesterday or early in the morning. As I was standing in the square, the Barcelona feeling came along and I wanted to shout 'hell yeah, I'm here!!!'. Instead of shouting out loud, I called Bert :)))

There were too many people around and I needed to observe them. While I was sitting on the marble, two Japanese girls came near and told me something in Greek. I said I'm not Greek, and we started to chat. They said they are missioners of God who travel the world and for now they are staying in Athens. We talked about Islam, the percentage of Muslim people in Turkey and they were surprised. Then they asked me why don't I wear a scarf. It was a long subject to talk about and we did it :) I told them about the groups in Turkey, conservatives, the present goverment's standing and etc...It was a very nice conversation because I was joking continiously and they were funny too. I love to be abroad!!!

After that little chat, I dived into a street and walked walked walked with Chris Rea. I got lost again of course, but I found a nice place selling dresses and made the first shopping of Athens. 2 dresses with a price of 5 euros each, not a big deal, so I paid with my own money. I'm not thanking dad yet :)))

There was a man who was playing guitar in a little square, I stopped by a little not to welcome Rodriguez again and listened to him. Then I lead myself to the main street, I don't know how but I did it, saw the fish/meat market and the other shops. It felt like I'm in Antep because the shops were so similar! Then I saw the table of a cafe that we passed by yesterday night and understood where am I. That was my way to Plaka!! 

I was resting across the Flea Market and a pigeon gave me a present, I should by a lottary ticket :) I went to buy water and napkins and realized that I can speak very basic Greek like asking for water, understand the price when it is told in Greek and thank for it :)

My lunch was a plate of watermelon and a frappe after, with view of Acropolis. People here ask me where am I from and always say 'Turkey? How nice!'. They are very kind, who was talking about that they behave us like enemies? Nothing like that so far. We are so kalo :)

A Turkish man passed by me while I was having lunch, he was shouting on the phone like that 'Ayfer kac kere soylicem gerizekali misin? Eve git diyorum!' :)))

I keep smiling while walking, I know that, and everybody that I have eye contact smiles back at me. Viva Athens, I may move in here! 

Insert : those Birkenstock's are not much comfortable. I cannot understand why people are dying for them??!!!

While waiting for the 'Sunshine Express' which is a lovely toy like train that makes a little city tour, I hanged around Monstraki. There was a very nice bag shop with very cute owners. Now, I have a cat bag, an elephant wallet and a hand painted butterfly bag that I bought with a nice discount. I spent a little time over here talking to them, and I learned 'olakalo' as a replacement for 'entaxi'. They told me that Americans stole ok from olakalo :)))

Then the blue-white train with the non-stop on the phone machinist took me away...it was poli poli poli nice! I saw a house for sale, which has its own garden with a palm tree...I'll buy it if the price is good and I mean it! After a 45 mins train tour, I stopped by a cafe, had Greek coffee -which is actually Turkish coffee!- and fruit salad. God, I'm so healthy but why do I still have that belly??? :))))

While I was there, I needed to work a little but it was ok because they had a strong wi-fi. Bert makes me work till the last drop of my blood :))

Then I started to walk to the Syntagma square. On my way, I found a little jewel shop and there was a Frog Prince ring with a pearl in there! Of course I dived into that place and spend wonderful time. The girl in here was a Romanian who moved to Athens 3 years ago. She told me about the advantages and disadvantages of living in Athens as a foreign girl. Her last Greek boyfriend was a real asshole, she told me about him and we discussed if the virginity is in brain or somewhere down? :)))) She thinks that Greek men are conservative and I told her to see Turkish men first and think again! It was very nice to talk to her, so I promised to go again sometime.

I stayed in the square for a while and talked to Katie, I enjoy it so much. It feels so good to call her and talk for a long time! Then I took the metro back to hotel (of course I used the Bert way!) and G called. Now, I'll take a shower and get dressed to meet her.

I loved this city. I'm going to buy that house. Yip feels at home, poli kalo! :)))

Ps : posted by iphone again, excuse the wrong typos!  

No comments:

Post a Comment